Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Poem: BLACK ENOUGH ACTOR

BLACK ENOUGH ACTOR

I see others sweat,
see them wait and prepare
almost all of them looking like
a Black Actor

I hear them sing, one by one
voices sounding like Motown
or church —
knowing that's not me
my voice is not like that

I hear them perform, speak,
and recite
each one dramatic,
whether soft or raised voice
each one sounding like
a real, Black Actor
Is that what they want?

Is it better to choose
my favorite Angry Aaron
or stick with the coin flips
and be the only one like me
they'll likely see?

Should I use my time clowning,
geeking up hallowed space
before local theater
decision-making power?

Fear makes safer seem sounder,
stops me spreading my self
and my soul

Sinister, stifling whispers of fear
make safer seem smarter,
sensible,
sounder
stopped me from spreading
my self
and my soul

Almost.

I can't stand up to be counted
if I count myself out,
a different design of triple threat

but am I Black Enough,
or will they be won
by the One And Only Me?

No comments:

Post a Comment