Saturday, November 12, 2011

I Am Such a Twit

I finally started a Twitter account.

I say "finally" as if it's been some long-awaited move, but the back story is that I've been considering it for the past couple of months. The thing that tipped the scales was a very cool job posting. A national public radio company posted a job listing for music writer/blogger with broadcast experience and some skill taking pictures. The only broadcast experience I have is from back in high school, but I speak really well and am no stranger to a microphone. Pictures? I have that tied up.

I could think of a dozen niggling, nit-picky reasons why I'm not technically qualified, but as I plowed forward I thought of as many reasons why I'm well-qualified and felt the confidence surging. Although Questioning and Doubt never left, Confidence always kept giving them swirlies and wedgies and taking their lunch money. As simple as I had heard that Twitter is, I decided not to let a lack of firsthand experience with it get between me and the possibility of landing a sweet grant-based job with an extremely convenient duration. Now was the time, and who cares if someone thinks I started it out of desperation just for this job. I had already figured its value to another blog venture I'm struggling with right now. This was the extra push I needed to make step my toes into the Twittie pool.

I've lost track of how many days ago it was, but I think it's four or five now. I'm not a whore for followers, but I just reached 30 the other day, blocked one, and am not embracing #followbacknation ideals of automatically following anyone who follows you. I know the stuff I just spit out there and I don't really want that from someone I don't know even though I could just simply unfollow. It's like receiving a Facebook request without an introductory or exploratory message. If you're a friend or I know who you are, fire away. If I don't know you, that's kind of like just picking a random person out of a crowd to have sex with.

Hyperbolic, I know, but it's my hyperbole, damn it! I like it and it stays!

I've even managed to send a few tweets from my five-year-old not-smartphone. I've amassed 52 tweets so far and look to improve the quality and wit and content as I grow. It will be 53.

As soon as I can embed this link . . .

THERE!

1 comment:

  1. I'm not quite twitterpated with Twitter, but I'm glad you've gone for it with such confidence! :)

    ReplyDelete