Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Nothing To Lose

All of these opportunities are coming up every now and then, goading me to apply for things that I'm more than half – but not 100% – qualified for. What's the deal? Why the compulsion?

Easy: I believe that I'm smart enough to fill in and learn what I lack. I have the essentials down. I'm creative and I'm not run-of-the-mill. Sometimes I believe that an employer could go with that rather than with someone who fills in all of the bullet points.

And I'm stubborn enough to try.

If I don't try I'll never know for sure, will I? Sure, I may get down and bitch and gripe and get bitter if I don't make it, but at least I tried. Sometimes I actually believe that it doesn't matter that you don't get medals for trying.

1 comment:

  1. I'm in the same place. I'm freelance illustrating right now, and I'm being as persistent and stubborn as I possibly can and applying to everything that I can even remotely relate to. I get one response out of every 30 or so applications (ugh...one out of thirty sounds so rough). I've been lucky to land a few biggish gigs. But it's really tough. I feel like I spend more time applying for freelance jobs than actually working on the jobs that I get.

    But that's just the way things are right now! Stay stubborn. We can do this! :)

    ReplyDelete