Sunday, August 1, 2010

Arise, Daywalker!

I'm on my way back. I see the fuller, more complete Gregory Parks on the horizon, returning from walkabout.

I've been spending the last seven-to-eight months doing a lot of thinking, a lot of reflection and a lot of analyzing. I've been working a lot on keeping my mouth more shut and my eyes, ears, and mind more open. There is frustration, heartbreak, and a whole mess of inner struggle going on. Four months ago I got back into doing a self-guided yoga practice with some meditation sprinkled in. I like yoga and will continue to work to get better at it. I hope to begin instructor certification in the next year.

However, I still have felt like I've been letting myself go. I haven't been exercising like I used to two or three years ago. Yoga is exercise, but it does different things for muscle tone and not a whole lot for muscle mass. I like to look a certain way and my muscle mass has been reducing a little bit, thanks to my metabolism. So I started exercising again.

I've not been in poor shape, but what I consider to be poor or less than satisfactory compared to my last physical peak of three years ago. My body is already responding, coasting off of an adrenaline high after 20 - 30 minutes of jumping rope and sprinkling in other things to break it all up.

I already feel like I am once again worthy of the title "Daywalker". My friend Ginger first called me that a couple of years ago. I have the powers and traits of a dork/geek/nerd, but none of the weaknesses. Just because you like to spend a few hours gaming or discussing the virtues of Starfleet captains doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to do some push-ups and then cook a meal that doesn't involve Mountain Dew and calling for Chinese or pizza.

Exercise is a mood booster and I don't do drugs. I hate being in the doldrums, so there you go. If I get and stay in good shape because I'm trying to work out frustrations, then so be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment