Friday, July 22, 2011

More Waves

I received a birthday card from home today. Although I knew it wouldn't, part of me expected – hoped? – to see "Love, Mom and Dad". Of course, logically, it didn't. Another moment, another wave. I hadn't thought about that one coming, even though it obviously would. Part of that is probably because I process my birthday differently than it seems some people do. I never know what to say when someone asks me what I want for my birthday, I'm not one of those people who goes around announcing the coming of their birthday or the lament of the next year added to the count of their life. As such, I don't go around expecting cards or get salty if I'm not wished "Happy Birthday!"

It reminded me of last year when I was in Japan and it was the first year ever in my memory that there wasn't a call or voice mail from Mom singing "Happy Birthday". It was a strange absence and I felt something wrong. I suppose in a deep, intuitive place I knew a lot was wrong. I did learn that she was in the hospital at the time.

Earlier this week I also received something that was more forgotten than unexpected. My girlfriend had told me of this company that makes keepsakes out of funerary roses. She and I had gathered some roses to get this done to surprise my family. My rosary arrived a few days ago. I don't say the rosary anymore, but my mom always did, so it's a special, meaningful keepsake.

No comments:

Post a Comment