Sunday, July 24, 2011

Worlds Collide, Places Switch

( In which our author succumbs to a brief bout of fandom-based action.)


I had an amazing moment today after the second circus show at Circus World: something from my past came sliding back into my world in the guise of role reversal.

After each show, we form a meet and greet line outside the Hippodrome entrance. Quite a ways through the line of exiting audience members, one mother and her boys walked back to our line of performers and wanted to shake my hand and take a picture. My brain started screaming: "You know this woman! You know who she is! She's familiar!" It didn't take me long to put the pieces together.

This woman was the bassist from Champaign, IL's Poster Children; her husband was guitarist and lead vocalist of the band. Holy crap.

Back in college at Iowa State University was where I found out about the Poster Children. Thanks to Lee Bellon and the Ames Independent Music Society, I was introduced to my new favorite band. It was instant: love at first sight. They rocked from start to finish. They weren't huge or famous, and their sound and energy told a different tale. They didn't need fame. They didn't need a big label as their later releases proved. They just needed a gig and stage time and they would take care of the rest. I saw them many times after that first show. I even booked them in The Maintenance Shop once when I was the director of that magical space. Lately, I didn't know if they broke up or if they just took a life-imposed hiatus.

Normally, I decide not to talk to "famous" people. I don't want to be "that guy".  I once passed by Björk at Boston Common when I was on Ringling Brothers because I didn't want to bother her when she was obviously doing some simple sightseeing. I couldn't let this go by. College Greg quietly pushed himself to the surface and fessed up, admitting that I recognized the two of them.

"I think I recognize you and I just want to say that you guys were my favorite band in college and my friends and I just went nuts over you guys. Thanks for coming to the show and I'm glad you all enjoyed it."

Wait – I forgot to mention that they mentioned and blatantly, non-verbally expressed that they enjoyed the show. THEY ENJOYED THE SHOW! The best part for me was not only did they enjoy the show, but her reaction was that her smile grew even bigger and she trotted toward me and hugged me.

Wow. I actually performed for two members of the Poster Children and their kids and they had fun. This is a great summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment