Monday, March 29, 2010

Something in the Way

Today we had a third show added. Not that I can't handle three shows, or even the ten shows this will make over the last three days. It just stunk because I was planning to head to the fabric store after the second show. Now that we have the third show, it will be closed before I even leave the lot. Grr and harumph. Still, if that's the only reason I have to complain, then the day is a good one.

I am still a bit mystified. In the US I don't think any production could just decide to add a show on the same day based on turnaway and expect people to return. I don't know, but I've not heard of it done. Apparently on this show, it happens occasionally and there are indeed people in the seats, and enough to have made an extra show worthwhile. This astounds me. On a bottom-line basis, extra demand and an extra show are good things. They're good for the company and they're good in that they provide another opportunity for me to figure things out audience-wise.

Among the many things this gig is cementing for me, it's the idea of words being only secondary to what I'm doing. If I rely on the words, then changing cultures and changing countries will put a cramp in my clowning work. If I have something that exists independent of the language, then what I do can truly be performed internationally.

No comments:

Post a Comment