Saturday, May 1, 2010

In Deep: Day 3 of Golden Week shows

I am writing from almost the middle of the seven-day, 21-show Golden Week run. The ninth show is under way as I compose this entry.

"What is Golden Week?" you may be asking. Golden Week is a week of holidays in Japan that encompasses three other holidays, two of which – according to a description given me by one of the Japanese – I can liken to President's Day. One of the holidays commemorates something imperial. To flesh in my limited understanding, I consulted the internet's foremost encyclopedic, completely error-free source (and I say that with sarcasm because one never truly knows if it's error-free, except on trust): Wikipedia. Here's what Wikipedia has to say about Golden Week. It's much more informative than my breakdown.

In the last couple of days, the audience has brought me a man who, after his attempts to speak to me in Japanese that exceeds my level, I determined was asking if I was Maori. Then there were two young ladies who were obvious proponents of the skin darkening/fake baking fad in Japan, yet not entirely of the blackface variety. They were more of a possibly unintended orange hue.

No comments:

Post a Comment