Friday, February 19, 2010

Day Off Dallying

I had a nice solid couple of shows leading into the two days off. It made for a good lead-in to some well-deserved rest. Of course, the term "well-deserved" is relative: do I "deserve" anything special for doing my contracted job and for attacking it with the ferocity that I feel doing my job well entails? I'm not entirely sure. Coming from the US where it seems that incompetent people can keep their jobs simply because they can sue a company for having been fired, it seems that a solid work ethic – while once expected and ingrained in people – is now the exception.

Let's just say that I feel I really worked for it.

The first day off was mildly productive. I cleaned my oven because it wasn't cleaned by the second hand store or the person who sold it to the second hand store. Lazy. I did a bit of sweeping around my room and did the trash and recycling (for what it is here).

The rest of the day – the lion's share of the 16 hours I was awake – I played World of Warcraft.

It's been a while since I've spent a whole day gaming like that. Not since the days of Ringling Brothers train runs have I spent that much time in front of a screen playing a video game. I felt like a slug. I felt the difference between the game accomplishments and actual life accomplishment. But damn, did I enjoy it.

The second day I went out and about, grabbing stroop waffles from a store in Kyoto Station, making my way to Toji, taking pictures. I took quite a few pictures and even busted out my telephoto lens. One bust of the day was finding the marker for where the Rashomon gate stood. I didn't do enough research to find it, and only knew that I was within a few blocks while I was at Toji. Toji was one of two pagodas flanking the gate, albeit not necessarily right next to the gate.

A trip to Book Off yielded some nice CD scores. Although I didn't find everything I was seeking, I found some things I didn't know I was seeking and gained some insight toward the expansion of my Pizzicato Five catalog. It seems their back catalog is reasonably easy to find in most Book off stores.

I am a media madman.

No comments:

Post a Comment