Friday, February 5, 2010

Upturning

Yesterday's pre-show brought a couple of really great audience moments.

Our pre-show is really simple: we toss a huge balloon around the audience. To some (many?) this smacks of the brain-dead school of clowning, perhaps only exceeded in crapitude by doing anything while using a whistle or simply walking up behind someone and kicking them in the butt. However, it's not laziness or lack of creativity, but it's a simple way of connecting with a lot of people in a shirt amount of time (5 minutes), which then makes the last little bit run more smoothly. The balloon grabs attention from all the way across the house and generally encourages anticipation. I never would have imagined that the simple act of tossing a big balloon in the air and catching it on the tip of my outstretched finger would consistently get a good reaction of "oooooooh" from an audience. Any time we can inspire an outward reaction from an audience in Japan – especially in Kyoto – is a success and we are doing our jobs.

Anyway, there was a group of four older-than-middle-aged women in the front row and when the balloon bounced around to them, they all laughed and scrambled for it and really enjoyed bouncing it back to me, trying to get me off balance. We had them for the rest of the show. Not too long after, the balloon entered territory completely occupied by schoolkids. Waves of screams rose every time the balloon came within their collective reach and each time that happened, I could see other members in the audience – especially the four ladies – get a huge rush of joy from the whole situation.

I think one of the most valuable things I'm having reinforced while I'm here is the value of simplicity. The gags we're doing aren't innovative. They're not big-and-loud funny. They're nothing like the stuff my friends Steve and Ryan cough out in a tissue on a bad day. They're quick, they're simple, they have definite stories and are no longer than they need to be, and they rely on pacing, character, and clarity.

And they work.

I repeatedly admit to being an impatient person. I don't usually have great confidence in my abilities as a clown. I don't always find it easy to think simply.

I can say that I feel that I am doing good work here.

No comments:

Post a Comment